Friday, February 13, 2009

Hi, I,m Alonzo and I just moved here from Zamora, Mexico. It's exciting to be in a new country, Los Angeles is so beautiful, the weather here reminds me of home and I was able to get a job right away in the orange orchard, which is good cause I did similar work back home in Mexico. I'm concerned about my children forgetting the old ways though, they don't listen to me anymore like when I say we need to go to church on Sunday, they're already gone with their friends. I'm thankful that we found a small apartment where there are other Mexicans living but already my children are forgetting their native language and they're speaking English but I as yet have not learned it so I have no idea what they are saying. I ask them to repeat what they say in Spanish and they give me a look of disgust which shows me such disrespect and I am the head of this household, they need to show me more respect and obey me. If they can't respect me and our traditions and our culture then how can they remember who they are,where they came from. But they say Dad you're so old fashion, this is 1920 and we're in America now. My oldest son is dating a white girl from the other side of town, her father owns some kind of business and has money, I'm not happy with this. She knows nothing of our ways and when I asked her to celebrate The Day of the Dead with us I thought she was going to faint, then my son chastised me for even bringing up our sacred day, he said he wouldn't be there either. What has happened to my children? My daughter has a job working for a doctor as a secretary, I had forbid her to work, women in our family don't work outside the home unless they are accompanied by other members of the family. My son and daughter go out to the theatre and the nickelodeum with there friends white and Mexican, but I don't know these friends and I say but this is family time you need to spend time with your mother and me.They say we have jobs and we help pay the rent so we should be able to go where we want and where. But what about my daughter, her chastity needs to stay in tact if she is to marry, I won't be able to find her a good husband if she running around like some kind of tramp. She says she'll find her own husband and she'll be in love when she marries not an arranged marriage like her Mom and Dad's. I have no control over my children. I'm planning on going back to Mexico where I know what the rules are and what's expected of me but my wife won't leave, she wants to stay near the children and she likes it here cause there's more opportunities here like work in Imperial Valley, California and she doesn't have to worry about the revolution in Mexico. I may come back, others do and then go back to Mexico, back and forth.

No comments:

Post a Comment